A clerk is a workman who administers general office tasks. He can also be described as a worker who performs alike sales-related tasks in a retail domain. The liability of a clerical worker often include filing, record keeping, screening solicitors, staffing service counters, and administrative tasks. It all depends upon the type of the job for which the clerk has been hired. Clerical jobs are mainly a class of posts that focus on providing workroom support. They represent a variety of skills and knowledge which are very important. A high school diploma or GRD is enough to get started as an office clerk. However, it is important to have some office skills, such as typing, good phone skills and word processing knowledge. Generally the training is done on the job itself.
Today, there are different kind of jobs in this field which can be divided into categories such as government, banking, retail and office. On categorizing them systematically, different type of clerks job include:-
- Office clerk job-They don’t require certificate or previous experience.
- Data entry clerk job– usually for data entering and executing basic computer operations.
- Information clerk job– This job may spread has a wider scope. It encompasses different industries, like hotel clerk and travel agency clerk.
- Sales clerk job-They help customer find items in the store as well their purchase through the cash register.
- Government and health clerical jobs-They often include jobs in post offices and hospitals.
- Nursing clerk job-They usually have post-secondary certification with a basic knowledge of medical terminology.